New Brochure Release, Industrial Parts & Services for the Food & Beverage Industry
ISC Companies is proud to announce the release of a new brochure outlining the products and services we offer to the food processing and beverage industry.
We are an industrial and electrical parts distributor that represents leading manufacturers of products specified in the food processing industry. Combined with our expert application support, we can help food processing customers increase equipment reliability, resulting in lower maintenance costs and increased uptime.
Products used in food processing applications are designed to meet or exceed stringent safety guidelines and recommendations set by federal agencies and food safety organizations or groups.
Food Industry Organizations, Groups, and Important Definitions
FDA (or USFDA) Food and Drug Administration – a federal agency of the United States Department of Health and Human Services responsible for protecting and promoting public health through the control and supervision of food safety.
FSMA Food Safety Modernization Act (2011) – allows the FDA to detain foods, order a recall, and shut down a facility.
USDA United States Department of Agriculture – regulates meat, poultry, egg and cheese.
NAMI North American Meat Institute – is a non-profit, industry trade association formed in 2015 from the merger of the American Meat Institute (AMI) and the North American Meat Association (NAMA). NAMI provides guidance and regulatory assistance to meat packers and processors.
NSF National Sanitation Foundation International – an independent, accredited organization that tests, audits, and certifies products and systems. Products that carry the NSF symbol have been certified for safe use in specified areas of food and beverage facilities.
Products with the NSF symbol have been certified for safe use in specified areas of food and beverage facilities. The NSF follows the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) standards development process to define a product for application for NSF accreditation. This testing is confined to four specific zones to determine food grade:
- Zone 1 Food Zone: areas where direct contact with food products is expected and surfaces from which the food may drip, drain, or splash back into surfaces normally in contact with food.
- Zone 2 Splash Zone: areas where direct contact with food products during normal operations would not be expected. However, equipment may be situated in a way that during processing or cleaning, liquids may splash, spill, or soil the surfaces, and there is a chance that liquids might drip onto surfaces that contact food.
- Zone 3 Non-Food Zone: areas where no contact with food is expected. These areas are not subject to typical wash-down procedures. In the area, care must be taken to prevent physical deterioration of materials that could lead to migration into food contact areas.
- Zone 4 The Unexposed Non-Food Zone: areas within the same facility but separated from food and splash zones by walls or other physical barriers.
HACCP – Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point is a management system in which food safety is addressed through the analysis and control of biological, chemical, and physical hazards from raw material production, procurement, and handling, to manufacturing, distribution, and consumption of the finished product.
IP69K – The Ingress Protection (IP) rating system is a scale that relates to proven protection against environmental factors such as liquids and solids. Products rated to IP69K (the highest protection rating) first must be impervious to dust, but also must be able to withstand high-pressure and steam cleaning. To be specific:
- A spray nozzle is fed with 80 °C water at 80–100 bar (~1160-1450) at a flow rate of 14–16 L/min.
- The nozzle is held 10–15cm from the tested device at angles of 0°, 30°, 60° and 90° for 30 seconds each.
- The device being tested sits on a turntable that rotates once every 12 seconds.
CIP Clean-in-place – is a method of cleaning the interior surfaces of pipes, vessels, process equipment, filters, and associated fittings, without disassembly.
ISC Companies Specialty Services
We can help you determine the right mechanical products for these common food processing applications:
- Bag Fillers
- Capsule Fillers
- Carousel Conveyor
- Cup Fillers
- Drag Conveyors
- Drying Drum
- Heat Exchangers
- Material Handling
- Meat Processing
- Overhead Doors
- Packing Equipment
- Patty Formers
- Pick and Place
- Pouch Machines
- Screw Conveyors
- Shrink Wrapping
- Wastewater Treatment