Shaft Couplings & U-Joints
ISC Companies and affiliate Adams-ISC are distributors of mechanical power transmission parts including shaft couplings and U-Joints. For more information about the brands we offer and/or pricing, please contact us by phone 763-559-0033, by email [email protected], or by filling out our online contact form.
A shaft coupling is used to connect two shafts that turn in the same direction on the same centerline. The major types are rigid, flexible, and U-joints (universal joints). Rigid couplings are used to connect shafts that are precisely aligned. Flexible couplings, which make up 90% of couplings sold, are designed to transmit torque while permitting some radial, axial, and angular misalignment. They can accommodate angular misalignment up to a few degrees and some parallel misalignment. U-Joints are used to connect shafts that intersect at angles greater than what a flexible coupling can handle.
Functions of Shaft Couplings
- Connect or extend the driving or driven shafts
- Manage misalignment between shafts
- Transmit rotary power from one shaft to another
- Protect expensive equipment
- No efficiency loss
- Cushion shock loads
- Electrically insulate drive
- Limit end float
- Provide a place for clutching components
- Provide torsional tuning by varying stiffness